Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gary, I have a 14 year old male Staffordshire Terrier who…

Customer Question
Hello doctor Gary, I have...
Hello doctor Gary, I have a 14 year old male Staffordshire Bull Terrier who was very healthy until he started coughing a few months ago. The local Bangkok vet did all tests and said it's CHF. He's on 10mg Vetmadin and 2x DR Choice supplements, which seemed to work for a short time. He's still eating well but now he started fainting every few days for 10 seconds at a time, and no energy to walk far. Plus he coughs up clear fluid quite alot and his tummy seems a little bloated. He still eats well tho. I now have him on a diet of mainly beef mince and chicken with veg.
My question is- on line I saw that Vetmadin is usually given as a combination therapy. Infact one site said it shdnt be given by itself. I was wondering why Lasix wasnt given as well?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bruno. Please note that two studies have shown that pimobendan can improve survival times and quality of life when compared with standard treatment consisting of an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril and furosemide. That doesn't mean that an ACE inhibitor and furosemide shouldn't be on board and, in fact, the triumverate of pimobendan, enalapril, and furosemide are commonly prescribed to dogs such as Bruno. My primary concern at this time is that Bruno is experiencing syncopal ("fainting") episodes which usually results from arrhythmia - irregular heart rate, and pimobendan may increase risks for arrhythmias. If the local vet can perform an EKG, I strongly recommend that it be done. We need to know more about how Bruno's heart is beating. Pimobendan may be contraindicated in him. Meanwhile, I agree...furosemide should be prescribed at this time. He's retaining fluid in both his lungfields and abdomen - left-sided and right-sided heart failure respectively. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you very much for your clear answer. The fainting episodes were sometimes after going to toilet, or climbing the stairs. I shd have added that in the description. I will go and purchase the Lasix tabs now, in thailand they are sold without prescription per tablet(40mg) . I will ask the vet on monday to do the test you suggested.
Thanks again!

You're quite welcome. You can initiate dosing of the furosemide at 1 mg/kg twice daily and increase the dose if need be. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.