Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our boxer was fed cooked hamburger meat, sweet potatoes,

Customer Question
Our boxer was fed...

Our boxer was fed cooked hamburger meat, sweet potatoes, green beans and blueberries. We home cook for her and this container was about a week or so old it did have a odor. My husband didn’t notice it was a left over container. She ate it around 4 hrs ago. Up till now no systems. Is there anything we can do but wait it out? Should I offer her Pepcid ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sophia she just turned 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?

She is in good health up to date on all vacs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

1. Actually I would not be too worried about this, in my experience many dogs will get away with this sort of incident or perhaps just show minor symptoms such as a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea which then passes on its own. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this sort of thing on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers so most of them will get away with this sort of incident and the chances are that a domestic dog like Sophia will as well.

2. There are no special measures you need take for now other than just keeping an eye on her, but I will give you some advice on what to do if Sophia should suffer a bout of gastroenteritis, but until then just keep an eye on her.

3. Pepcid would be a good idea, I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

4. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed your dog four or five small light meals during the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually then reintroduce her or normal diet over the next few days.

5. Of course if things get out of hand then have her checked over by your local vet without delay, but really this would be unlikely. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sophia's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

I should go ahead and give her a Pepcid ?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, it would not do any harm, but really the best advice would to just sit things out until any symptoms show { It could well be they do not } and then start home remedies then.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sophia is getting on after our recent dialogue, did any adverse symptoms occur? ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?