Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My six year old pug got hold of a silica packet and the

Customer Question
My six year old...

My six year old pug got hold of a silica packet and the silica was gone. Will it harm her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pug?

Nothing she ate the contents of a silica packet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the pug will be able to digest that. What is the pug's name?

Sophie

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your little one Sophie ingested something she should not have.

Did you mean the little paper packets filled with silica beads used to keep moisture levels down?

If she had swallowed the packet whole the concern would be that when it absorbed fluid it could lead to a blockage.

But if she chewed up the packet and ate the beads or powder that won't be a problem. They are mildly irritating to mucous membranes but that is it, they are not truly toxic.

No long term effects should be seen.

You can flush her mouth out with cool water to remove the debris.

If she seems hesitant to eat today or tomorrow just add more water to her food to make it soupy and easier to swallow.

Things to watch for that are signs to be concerned about are repeated episodes of vomiting and complete lack of an appetite. But I suspect that you won't notice any difference in her at all.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****