Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is pooping mucas with spots of blood pants a lot

Customer Question
My dog is pooping...

My dog is pooping mucas with spots of blood pants a lot before hand

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Boo shes 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Boo thats her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She vomitted

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She might have out on a walk shes a terrible sniffer

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

6- Any other symptoms?

1. 3 days
2. one hour (she ate plain boiled rice 2 hours before) otherwise no vomit
3. 15 lbs
4. Anxiety & we were told she had stones in her bladder?
5.. no
6. panting before she poos / barking more / shakey
it happens mostly at night

Please give me a few minutes I am typing your answer. Thank you.

OK thanks

Friend, when we see mucus with blood in the feces this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon); her colon being inflamed makes it painful for her to defecate and for this reason she pants before defecating. The vomit is likely secondary to whatever is causing the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by your veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

she suffers from seperation anxiety - can that be a cause?

Stress or anxiety can cause diarrhea. But, when we start seeing blood there is likely another underlying cause.