Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friend's dog ate a fair amount of swiss miss hot

Customer Question
Hi. My friend's dog...

Hi. My friend's dog ate a fair amount of swiss miss hot chocolate powder He is a 20 pound Springer spaniel puppy She's wondering what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Zephyr She isn't seeing any symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Nothing else. The puppy is 5 months She's estimating the amount consumed now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Please let me know the estimate of how much was swallowed.

Hello again,

I know your friend must be very concerned so I have worked out a provisional answer for you in the meantime ...

Good news, if this was a one-ounce pack then I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Zephyr very much even if he ate the lot, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. Zephyr may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and /or diarrhoea but that is about the worst you might expect, and even that may well not occur. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Zephyr's weight as being in the region of 20 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 14 ozs { Close one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. While it is true that other forms of chocolate can be more toxic than milk chocolate this is not likely to be a factor in your case since the main ingredients in Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate powder are in fact sugar, corn syrup, modified whey.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Zephyr's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...