Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug keeps looking up and stretching his neck im worried.

Customer Question
My pug keeps looking...

My pug keeps looking up and stretching his neck im worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

My pug keeps looking up and stretching his neck im worriedPearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?Type your message...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

No where

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Not at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

He pulls his neck all the way back and looking upward no problem with pee or poo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

His neck feels so stiff when I pet him

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I am reviewing your question and will get right back to you with an answer.

Hi again,

This behavior can be indicative of seizure activity but also can indicate a problem of the discs in the cervical area of the spine. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. in other cases it can just cause discomfort. You can read about this here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain and inflammation. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Read about seizures here and especially read about petite mal seizures and Psychomotor ones. Being a pug though I would suspect a disc issue. You might also have his teeth checked as it can cause discomfort in the neck as well leading to stretching.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.