Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ate maybe 20 claritin. He just ate it. 10 to 20 min

Customer Question
Ate maybe 20 claritin ...

Ate maybe 20 claritin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

He just ate it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

10 to 20 min

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hes a standard poodle name is ***** ***** 6 months ans weighs 30 lbs my daughter gave 3 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide 3 percent

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. Whatever the size of your dog 20 Claritin is going to be quite an overdose.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include marked lethargy and incoordination plus gastrointestinal upset.

But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just picked up on your second message, has Beau vomited yet?

You are doing the right thing with the hydrogen peroxide ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

If he does not vomit on the first attempt then you can safely give the peroxide again for a second attempt after 15 minutes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I see there has been some problem with your payment method, when this is sorted out I will be pleased to call you back at once.

In the meantime, I will be glad to continue chat with you here and will answer your questions as fast as possible ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

How are things going? Did you manage to induce vomiting?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Claritin overdose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?