Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 1/2 shihtzu who is blind from his cataract and…

Customer Question
I have a 14...

I have a 14 1/2 shihtzu who is blind from his cataract and most likely has something going on with his elevated liver enzymes. he is otherwise eating and aside from urinating frequently going to the bathroom easily.....he does bark all day and especially night keeping everyone mostly me up...now i have not one but 2 cold sores from being run down. not sure what to do for him. is it safe to give children benadryl at night for him to sleep? would that be bad on my part to try

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No i do not think so. he is my baby and now so lost....i don't know what to do

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You can certainly see how Benadryl dosed at 2 mg per pound of body weight affects him. The children's solutions are quite distasteful to dogs, however. A pill or capsule is a better choice. If you don't see a good response to that antihistamine, a benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax) is a reasonable choice for your purposes. Please let me know if you have such a drug and I'll see if I can give you a dose for him.

I have xanax that my dad gave me for a flight which I never used. My dog tobiko is about 11 lbs and the xanax I have is 0.25 mg

Thank you. Xanax can be dosed at 0.01 to 0.025 mg/lb. That would be 0.1 - 0.25 mg for him. I wouldn't hesitate to give him your 0.25 mg. Adverse effects include sedation (desirable) and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). This drug has a wide safety margin in dogs. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I also called my local vet who just saw tobacco a month or so ago. she prescribed him tramadol which i think helps a little at night. thanks so much for following up and all the advice

Sounds good. Thank you for the update. There's likely to be sundowner's syndrome at this time - a form of cognitive dysfunction in dogs and humans. It's conjectured that the dark and quiet of night magnifies the sensory loss in these patients which results in their anxiety and subsequent vocalizing. Other indications of cognitive dysfunction include disorientation, changes in social and interactive behavior - becoming "needier" or, conversely, more aloof - changes in locomotor and sleep cycle behaviors, and loss of housetraining. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian