Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs were playing with the plastic container that holds…

Customer Question
My dogs were playing...

My dogs were playing with the plastic container that holds rat poison...we are not sure if it had any poison left on it...what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

Nope....not even sure if any poison was left on it ...it was just the plastic container

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

1 dog is 8 months about 40 pounds....1 dog is 12 approximately 50 pounds

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise. I licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help you with your concern.

How long ago did you find them with the container from the rat poison?

Do you know the active ingredient of the poison?

What are the dog's names?

If it has been less than 4 hours, I recommend inducing both dogs to vomit. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

Each dog will need about 30ml (2 Tablespoons) of hydrogen peroxide orally. This can be poured directly into their open mouth with the nose held up, or soaked in bread and given to eat.

Then walk them INSIDE on a leash with a garbage bag to catch his vomit.

If they do not vomit within 10-15 min of the hydrogen peroxide, they can have a second dose.

It is important that each vomits to the point of dry heaving, to know that his stomach is empty.

P​lease let me know the answers to my questions above and if you are successful to induce them both to vomit. I will be checking back for your responses.