Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He won't eat, and is usually a good eater. It started a

Customer Question
He won't eat, and...

He won't eat, and is usually a good eater. It started a little over 2 weeks ago, he refused to eat for a few days, then eventually threw up a wad made of paper towels, a plastic wrapper, and wood chips, I assumed this wad of things he ate was the culprit and we were in the clear, his temperament was back to normal and he ate and kept down boiled chicken and rice. Then a few days after returning to his normal food he vomited in the morning and has refused to eat his food ever since, he won't eat the chicken/rice mixture either now. Yesterday I finally got him to eat, turkey and sweet potato, he kept it down, but had diarrhea early this morning and now he wont eat anything i try to give him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Bentley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?

He has epilepsy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bentley. By the priniciple of Occam's Razor, a foreign body in Bentley's stomach or intestinal tract must be the most important consideration at this time. Dogs can "houseclean vomit" which describes their ability to completely empty their stomach but there are foreign bodies that won't readily pass either up the esophagus or down into the small intestine. I would either X-ray +/- barium swallow or ultrasound the GI tract of such a patient at your earliest convenience. The hallmarks of GI obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian