Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 2.5 lb chihuah she is about 15 years old, blind,

Customer Question
Hi my dog is...

Hi my dog is a 2.5 lb chihuah she is about 15 years old, blind, and has cataracts, today i noticed that she has some puss coming out of it and is small

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Coco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

She is not as active today as she was yeterday

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Your post appears to have been truncated. Out of what are you seeing pus, please?

it looks like pus on the corner of her eye

Thank you. The discharge may be pus, mucus, tears, debris or any combination of those. It can arise secondary to infection, irritation, or allergy. I believe that your describing a "small" eye implies that Coco is squinting (blepherospasm) and that indicates a painful eye which may be caused by a corneal ulcer or deeper inflammation in the eye such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure - both of which can arise secondary to cataracts. Her inactivity also suggests that she's painful. Regretfully, I can't be more specific for you from here as I would have to perform the same tests that her vet should perform - a careful examination of the eye with an ophthalmoscope, fluoroscein staining of the cornea looking for corneal damage, a Schirmer tear test to see if Coco is forming enough tears, and assessment of her intraocular pressure with a hand-held tonometer. Unless Coco normalizes within 24 hours, I encourage your having her vet attend to her if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is there anything I can do now - saline wash to try and help her until I can get an appt?

Yes, saline flushing is smart and for over the counter analgesia you can give aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.