Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My German Shepherd is having significant hind leg weakness.

Customer Question
My German Shepherd is...

My German Shepherd is having significant hind leg weakness. He tested negative for dysplasia as a puppyl He is now 10 years ols and is not everweight. I am treating him with sanus biotex-aholistic drug for DM.Can I also give him cosequin in conjunction with the sanus biotex? He has been taking cosequin for the past three years; the biotex was jut startrf this week.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your puppy?

HE has hinf leg weakness

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?

He does ot seen to be in any pain however, both hind legs lack proper coordination. H tested negative for dyplasia as a puppy. He is now 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the German shepherd's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anubis?

He is not ove weight and is in good health.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this issue. There is a blood test now to rule in/ out DM as a diagnosis but there are also other orthopedic and/ or neurologic conditions that should be evaluated for at his age. To answer your question yes the two can be administered in combination without issue

There are so many other options available to us now to help our beloved four-legged friends outside of the normal nonsteroidals (rimadyl, previcox, metacam, deramaxx). I will list them individually but all can be used in combination to assist your dog in getting comfortable

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily as you already mentioned, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

6.) Depending on your pet's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com

Please let me know how else i can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!