Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

14 yr old neutered male dachshund labored breathing since…

Customer Question
14 yr old neutered male...
14 yr old neutered male dachshund labored breathing since before sun up today, he is lethargic and can't stand up on his own, feces on anus peed and poopwd last during the night
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Chatchke isn't feeling well. I'm going to be very honest here and say that if he's truly labored with his breathing, this has me very concerned. Labored breathing can be due to primary heart issues, lung issues or blood issues. Each of these reasons is a very serious one. The fact that he's not able to stand most likely is due to his body being that stressed from the underlying physical issue at hand. He needs to be seen by a veterinarian to determine what the issue is and then specifically started on treatment for it. Can you get him to your vet now?

What do I do with about payment because the animal hospitals I've spoken to already all said they don't do payment plans and I don't have the money upfront to bring him to be seen?

Do you have an already established vet for him? If you have one, sometimes they can set up payment plans for you. A lot of clinics have payment options called "Care Credit". It is a line of credit for veterinary care that they can do an instant application for. I know my clinic takes it and about 60% of the clinics in my area do. The other option that I'd throw out there is to try to see if family or friends can help out. From what you're describing, it sounds pretty serious.

I tried care credit and was denied. I can see it's serious and want to help him immediately but I don't have any way to pay for it at this time.

Can you contact family or friends to see if they will help?