Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old Burnese Mountain dog/Neopolitan Mastiff…

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 year old Burnese Mountain dog/Neopolitan Mastiff mix. She seems to be limping slightly on one of her front legs. She doesn't limp all the time, and the limp is slight enough that when she does do it I can't tell which leg is bothering her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I have and I can't find anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Kyra

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kyra is limping on one of the front legs. A technique that might help you determine which leg is to see what leg is she putting more pressure on when her head goes down. The leg she is putting more pressure on when walking is the good leg. It means the leg she is not putting pressure on when her head goes down at the walk is the one she is painful. I hope that helps. Is this the first time limping has been observed with her?

Limping in one of the front legs in a young large breed dog should be screened for some common orthopedic issues such as osteochondrosis or elbow dysplasia. You can give aspirin to decrease pain and inflammation while scheduling an appointment with your veterinarian. This is not an emergency, so you can treat with an anti-inflammatory medication and rest while waiting to get to your veterinarian. The dose with aspirin for a 50 lb dog is 20 mg every 12 hours. Therefore, a 1/4 tablet of a 81 mg aspirin is safe to give.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

If the safe dose is 20mg per 50 pounds, why is the GNC Dog Aspirin 300mg? Or is that just the difference between human Aspirin and canine Aspirin?

The anti-inflammatory dose for aspirin is actually 10-20 mg/kg. That would make the dose 225 - 450 mg. Thank you for that question. Disregard my earlier dose recommendation. I gave the platelet inhibiting dose, which is also a use for aspirin, but not quite high enough for anti-inflammatory effects.

Just checking in. Do you have any other questions? I am standing by.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian