Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I fed him chicken on Saturday my dog I have always fed him…

Customer Question
I fed him chicken...

I fed him chicken on Saturday my dog I have always fed him chicken. All I can think of is the spices On this store bought chicken had that gave gimme diarrhea. I used peppermint oil on him like I do when his stomach acts up. He has a sensitive tummy so he does get the runs off and on and this help. Well it didnt. So I gave him loperamide which I have also used on him before it's just so hard to get down him. But their

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

I tried typing it but some how when I need to fix a word at the end it wouldn't let me so I am sending then I will know if I can continue or start ove

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Did you get the beginning of his problem or do I need to start over

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes he has the runs caused by the spices On it. And today has upset stoach. But if you didn't get my explanation I need to retype it and finish it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Benjie 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Benjie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benjie?

Yes the other half of what I started to write did you get that my phone him upped and I couldn't go back to it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Benji today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is Benji still eating and drinking normally?

Is he doing any vomiting?

That's fine I had more to tell you on the problem still before it sent it

You can finish typing anything you think I need to know and then answer the questions.

I gave him the diarrhea medication mentioned above. He started vomiting in the middle of the night. Maybe the diarrhea meds were bad on his stomach. bought some DiGiZen off Amazon in the dogs with Diarrhea.also tried to call them. Because the lable only mentioned quezzyness, bloating,gas indigestion. but they said it would be better to email them. So thinking it might help him now his tummies up set. I put some on his belly. It kind of made my hand burn under my ring so I called them and told them. And they told me they didn't recommend useing it on animals. But they put it on Amazon under it. I tried to get some of the DiGiZen off as much as I could with coconut oil. I have to do most stuff my self. I am in a power chair and don't drive. And my kids moved away. It is really hard to find someone to take me to the vet. Plus I am only on disability thank you I hope you can help
That's it did you get my last

I would discontinue any of the essential oils at this time.

The best thing that you can do at this time would be to fast him to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule.

If the stools do not improve, or if he won't eat, you will need to find a way to have him examined by a veterinarian to make sure there is not a more serious underlying issue going on like pancreatitis. Perhaps a housecall vet may be a better option for you.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z