Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have been on the road for 5 days, going to Fl. Our dog, 1…

Customer Question
We have been on...

We have been on the road for 5 days, going to Fl. Our dog, 1 1/2 years old has had bloody diarrhea the whole time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Tiny. He is a Hyberinse/doddle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He had a rash on his belly and we put soferene on it, that didn't help so we put destine on it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Tiny today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is Tiny still eating and drinking normally?

Does the stool have any form or is it liquid only?

Is he having diarrhea frequetly?

Can you look at his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them? Are they moist or tacky to the touch?

No he is not eating and drinking normally. Sometimes it has some form. Not often. Yes frequently. Tacky to touch.
Tacky to touch. He is not eating or drinking good. It is frequent, and not much form. But sometimes it has form.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

If he has had diarrhea for five days, especially if there is blood in it, he is likely dehydrated by now. That would explain the tacky gums. Being dehydrated would contribute to the not wanting to eat and can make him feel even worse. There are various causes to be passing blood in the stool, and some are more serious than other. They can include intestinal parasites, viruses, inflammation of the gut and even stress. In has case, stress may be contributing to it due to the traveling, but there may be something more serious going on.

I would strongly urge you to seek out veterinary services in whatever area you are traveling through at this time. If you can't find a general vet that can see him, you may need to enlist the services of a 24 veterinary hospital. Depending on what they find on physical exam, they may be able to treat him as an outpatient with fluids and supportive medications and you can all be on your way. If you would like me to try and help you find a vet in your area, I would be happy to, but I would need your the zip code or nearest town you are currently in.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I would also recommend that you stop using the desitin as it contains zinc oxide which can be toxic if too much is ingested or licked off.