Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We think he ate something, only thing we seen him eat was a…

Customer Question
We think he ate...

We think he ate something, only thing we seen him eat was a cokle burr. He does not want to eat or move much now, has been slowly getting less active since Sunday. His gums are white, he would eat a chicken breast for us last night and has drank some water today. We live out of vet area but did run him to the vet yesterday but the town vet is out of office until tomorrow. they did say he had a bit of a fever, 102.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Oakley, he is a springer spaniel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oakley?

Not that I can think of, he is usually very active and on the hyper side.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Oakley is not wanting to eat and has become more lethargic for the last 3 days. His gum color being so pale is concerning as well. His temperature of 102 degrees Fahrenheit is actually a normal temperature for a dog. 100 - 102.9 is a normal temperature. Can you please tell me about how old is Oakley?

He is 7

Thank you for that information. Not eating and being lethargic could indicate nausea or pain. The pale gums could indicate anemia, which would answer the question of why he is lethargic. There are different causes of anemia, but one possibility is from a self-destruction of red blood cells. This is called autoimmune hemolytic anemia and spaniels do have a predisposition for this condition. That would require treatment with steroids, but they would need to do some basic blood work to make the diagnosis. There are other reasons for anemia too, but the goal for treatment until you can get Oakley to a veterinarian would be to encourage water intake to prevent dehydration, feed a bland diet to encourage an appetite, and feed an over-the-counter medication for nausea to help with the appetite and drinking.

You will want to give both food and water in small amounts throughout the day. A bland food consists of low fat items such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes. You will want to feed these in small amounts. Pepcid can be useful too, which can be given as 1/2 tablet (i.e. 5 mg) every 12 hours. Zantac can also be given as a replacement. Monitor for dehydration by feeling the gums - they should feel wet and slippery. If they feel sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. Give fluids through a syringe if necessary. Pedialyte is safe to give for added electrolytes. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I am still standing by. Did you get my reply?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian