Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She won't let us clip her nails. She freaks out and tries to…

Customer Question
She won't let us...

She won't let us clip her nails

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She freaks out and tries to bite you if you try to clip. The vet did it once and three techs plus myself had to hold her down. She is only 30lbs. I would like to try and sedate her but I do not know what is safe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Lily, 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?

No, she is a generally healthy dog. She just had her vet checkup and boosters in June. She had a small skin infection on her mouth earlier this month and she was put on an antibiotic which cleared it up quickly.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

What breed of dog is Lily?

Do you use clippers or a dremel?

What have you tried so far to handle this?

Lab hound mix... clippers. Tried using treats to get her accustomed but it only works for a minute. We took her to vet and they had to hold her down and muzzle her which I think made her anxiety worse

Thank you for that information. Most dogs do not like their nails clipped. Many times it is associated with some type of pain from hitting the quick.

but there are some things you can try.

there are grooming hammocks that the dog sits in and the legs hang down. They have them for a variety of sizes.

You can see them here. https://www.protectivespecialties.com/clipinsling.htm

I might try a dremel over clippers because all you have to do is put a sandpaper piece (do not use a grinder) and just tap the nail to remove a little of it at a time. Tap - tap - tap and it is over.

I find that my Lab likes to eat , so I put him on a table, hang a small travel water/food bag on the side of a crate and while he sticks his nose in there to eat, I dremel the nails. I sometimes put things in with the food like hot dog slivers or chicken slivers.

Here is more on dremeling https://smartdoguniversity.com/dog-nail-trims-part-5-how-to-trim-your-dogs-nails-with-the-dremel-video/

As far as drugs go, you can give Benadryl allergy or Dramamine as this will make dogs sleepy. Anything stronger than that will require your Vets signature on a prescription. I would try one before trimming any nails to see which has an better effect.

Here is information on dosing

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

dramamine https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/dramamine-for-dogs/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant