Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has diarrhea vomiting but won't eat nor drink. No I keep…

Customer Question
She has diarrhea vomiting...

She has diarrhea vomiting but won't eat nor drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No I keep her eat habit regular and she started this morning with the symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Babii and 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babii?

She's not her hyperactive self like I'm use too and she just wants me to hold her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your puppy Babii is lethargic, not eating or drinking well, and has vomited and has had diarrhea.
She is likely dehydrated because she has had diarrhea and has been vomiting, but if even water is making her vomit you need to take it away from her for now.
In most cases these symptoms are triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes at this age include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially if she never finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus, toxin ingestion, or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause. Parvo virus does eventually cause bloody diarrhea, but generally we see vomiting first, and increased thirst due to dehydration. And there are other gastrointestinal viruses besides Parvo or bacterial infections that can cause vomiting and diarrhea too.
Because she is lethargic and vomiting repeatedly ideally she would see a veterinarian now. At this stage she may need intensive care (intravenous fluids, injectable medications) that will be difficult to properly manage at home. I think at the very least she needs an injection to ease her nausea and may benefit from injectable antibiotics and fluids too.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if she's not improving quickly she should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle her stomach.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better and hopefully get her appetite back. Either one can be given for several days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to more vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.
If she refuses the bland diet mix you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then she needs hands on veterinary care.
But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.
If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly, has bloody diarrhea, or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian