Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is yelping in pain but we can't place what it is? it…

Customer Question
My dog is yelping...

My dog is yelping in pain but we can't place what it is? it seems to be getting worse but he seems to be acting normally otherwise. The only thing we have noticed is that he seems to be getting lethargic and slightly thinner even though we've been feeding him the same amounts of food regularly. He doesn't wince or complain when any of us pat him and he had a checkup fairly recently

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Clarke and 3-4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clarke?

He's a large dog. Red heeler x Mastiff

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

He was yelping a few times through the night but now seems okay. again, he doesnt seem as energetic as before

Are you seeing any limping or dragging of limbs?

Has she sustained any trauma?

No He apperars to be walking fine

Anytime we see a pet experiencing pain that does not appear to be linked to any obvious concern, it's worth planning a veterinary examination. If this reoccurs and you wish to try something at home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ At home, I would switch from a collar to a harness to minimize stress on the neck, in the event that pain is being felt in this location.

If an examination is scheduled, your vet will perform a complete examination. They may also wish to run x-rays at the time of examination on the neck, back and limbs. If the pain becomes chronic, I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort. You may also wish to start a glucosamine supplement for joint health. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products.

Checking in. How is Clarke today?

Doing well, we're following up on your advice and getting him some xrays later today

Excellent news. I am glad to hear he's well. Will you let me know what they find? I hope they're able to offer him some relief from symptoms.