Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She fell down, peed on the floor and is not able to get back…

Customer Question
She fell down, peed...

She fell down, peed on the floor and is not able to get back up at the moment.. She is almost 18 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Brownie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brownie?

She has been in great health all of her life.. I am aware she is getting quite old though..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you.. She just got up after having a sleep and is able to walk.. She went outside to pee and seems much more alert..

I am sorry to hear about Brownie's sudden episode of collapse with urination. When a dog seems to lose control like this we worry about a few things.

1) A seizure which is a loss of conscious muscle control with rhythmic muscle contractions occurring. These dogs may lose urine or stool continence, they are unaware of their surroundings and their muscles tend to be very tense during the episode.They seem fine afterwards, although puzzled about what happened and can be a little tired. This is a link to a video of a dog having a seizure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSL1_yeKo5o&feature=fvwrel

2) the second possibility is a fainting episode (syncope) or episode of feeling woozy due to low oxygen levels. These episodes can be caused an irregular heart rhythm (either very fast or very slow) such that oxygen doesn't get to the brain and they pass out or get very weak and collapse. These dogs seem to stiffen and then slide to the ground like a wet noodle and have more relaxed muscles compared to those dogs having seizures. They too tend to lose consciousness or collapse, the heart resets itself and they "wake up" and seem normal. Some of these dogs lose urine and stool continence and some do not. They may have minor muscle twitches due to low oxygen levels, but they are not as stiff or rhythmic as true seizures. This is a link to a video of a dog having a quick syncopal episodes. They are usually longer then this dog's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkj4jREIec8&feature=fvwrel

The irregular heart rhythm that leads to syncope can be hard to pick up on a regular exam as they may only be triggered by exercise or excitement or even sleep (extreme relaxation). And if they aren't stressed at their exam their heart rate may be slow and normal (these are dogs with tachycardia or fast rate arrhythmias) or if they are stressed then their heart rate may increase to an normal level (these are dogs with bradycardia or very slow heart rates).

Both of these "episodes" can be triggered by excitement. If Brownie has a history of a heart murmur or heart disease then a syncopal episode is more likely than a seizure.

Seizures in older dogs usually signify that there is a medical problem. Younger dogs (6 months to 6 years) are more likely to be diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy or seizures of unknown origin but in older dogs seizures are usually related to metabolic organ disease such that waste products build up and affect brain function or a primary brain problem (inflammation or tumors).

3) Another possibility is a tumor in the abdomen that suddenly ruptured and bled, leading to lower blood pressure and low brain oxygen making her feel woozy. Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen is one tumor that this happens with relatively commonly. She may have a slight bleed, which could cause her to collapse and she should have pale gums. But if the bleeding stopped she may be able to recover somewhat. Unfortunately if she has a bigger bleed then she may not recover and would be too weak. These dogs will have pale gums, pant excessively, feel weak and may pass urine or stool due an adrenaline rush.

I am glad to hear that she seems to have recovered after resting. But I am very concerned there is a serious problem underlying her collapse.

Unfortunately other than keeping Brownie quiet, and avoiding any stress or excitement, there isn't much you can do at home. She needs a physical examination, bloodwork, abdominal and chest radiographs, and possibly further testing to diagnose her condition.

If this is heart disease we need to properly diagnose her arrhythmia to know how to treat her medically and if this is indeed a seizure then looking for and treating underlying metabolic organ disease is needed or medication to help decrease seizure frequency and severity if this is related to primary brain disease.

Finally if she has a bleeding abdominal mass then she needs that addressed.

If she has another episode before you can have her examined if you could videotape her (many cell phones have the capability to do this) that would be tremendously helpful for your veterinarian as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara