Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sister's dog ate a bunch of fried onion rings. Fine now…

Customer Question
my sister's dog ate a...
my sister's dog ate a bunch of fried onion rings. Fine now so how long until we see the symptoms?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Loki ate fried onion rings. This can cause upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. The signs can start anywhere from 1 hour to 48 hours later. Vomiting usually occurs first whereas diarrhea may occur much later. Giving over-the-counter Pepcid, KaoPectate, and probiotics may be helpful.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Your question showed up on a new message board. I will have to answer it here. Your question is the following: "What about onion poisoning. He ate the onions about 2 hours ago and hasn't shown any symptoms. How long until he does? Should we wait for the symptoms to show or take him to the vet right away?"

The answer is that onion toxicity is a concern for anemia. This can be seen from any point between 3-7 days later. 2 hours is too late to induce vomiting, so the priority now would be to reduce nausea from the sudden change of diet and monitor for anemia. The veterinary ER clinic would be able to give him activated charcoal, which could actually help decrease absorption of the onion ingredients and help to have most of it defecated. That would decrease the potential for toxic effects.

Just checking in. How is Loki doing?