Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My Sisters Boxer that she rescued 8 years ago has isolation

Customer Question

My Sisters Boxer that she rescued 8 years ago has isolation anxiety. She is fine if she is left with any human when we go out. But without a person in the house, she force defecates
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: amd urinates all over the house. She has tried Prozac but Cali got totally disoriented and more agitated. I am concerned because my sister will be moving into my newly renovated home and I don’t know who to turn to
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amd?
Customer: Cali has had bouts of pancreatitis and she is very whiny and talkative if her mom is talking to anyone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is Candy
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Is the dog left loose when alone or is she crated? If not created has this been tried that you know of?

Is Prozac the only prescription medication that has been tried?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Crating is off the table..she chews herself to bits. So far Doctors have just tried Prozac. It was not working for her. We have tried her on some of my Valium ..and some gabapentin, all legally prescribed for me. Not that ethical but we were at our wits end and the Vets are very dismissive
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No..I am more comfortable texting..I have a bad cold and a sore throat, Thank You .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is an old dog and Im sure it’s too late for behavior modification.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We need the names of drugs that are successfully used for this situation so we can take her to a local vet armed with information. That’s it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok ..well that didn’t quite go as planned.
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

No judgement here I know how stressful this behavior can be for everyone including the dogs.

Separation anxiety can be difficult to get under control and often it includes a combination of behavioral training and medications.

Melatonin has proven to be very effective for treating separation anxiety and general anxiety. For a dog this size the dose would be 3mgs twice daily. While this can be purchased over the counter it is important to check the ingredient list. Many of the flavored meds contain Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.

Give her something to do when you are gone. A kong filled with yummy treats and frozen over night can be a great treat that can keep them busy for a few hours. There are also several interactive toys that are timer controlled so they can be set to come on at different times of the day when no one is home. The trick with these are to find something she really likes. The frozen kong should only been given when everyone leaves if you find she likes it as well as some favorite toys, this helps to get her excited for what she gets when people leave.

Make sure a TV or radio is always on for the noise.

I would also suggest getting a Pheromone collar. These don't work for every dog but do for most. Sentry sells a good one that is reasonably priced at most pet stores.

I would try the above things for 2-3 weeks and see if you see a difference. Many regular vets are not real knowledgeable on how to treat anxiety. Tough cases such as yours would likely be referred to a veterinary behaviorist. These are the doggie psychologists and will better be able to help decide what medications would work best for this specific dog.

The list of drugs we use is fairly long and yes most are the same meds used in people, and just like with people sometimes we just have to find the right medication.

I really would give the Pheromone collar and Melation a try first as I have seen this combination work more often then not.

Please let me know how things are going if you opt to try some at home treatment. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please provide a rating to end this session.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She only weighs 40 lbs she is very small is the melatonin the correct dose
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

Yes 3 mgs is the low end of the dose for dogs 25-100lbs.

It may be best to start with 3 mgs once a day for the first 5-7 days then increase to twice daily if needed. Starting lower will help you gage the effects and help prevent stomach upset.