Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy had his first shot this morning. Every now & then…

Customer Question
My puppy had his...

My puppy had his first shot this morning. Every now & then he cries out as if he is in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Cobe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cobe?

He had a slight ear infection and dr put drops in his ears

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Sorry to hear Cobe is feeling uncomfortable.

I do wonder if what you are seeing is related to puppy shots he had today. Vaccine reactions of various sorts can and do occur but of course I cannot accurately advise on individual cases over the internet so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your pup over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically, there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions: These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt from your description if this is happening in Cobe's case today.

2. Mild reactions: These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four or five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that Cobe may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnoses are possible. However if this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep him eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there are no guarantees the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days.

Of course, if he deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have him checked over by your local vet without delay but this would be unusual. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Cobe's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian