Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We just found a lump on my 8 year old Newfie mix. It's

Customer Question
We just found a...

We just found a lump on my 8 year old Newfie mix. It's fairly hard and only the top looks red, like it's a wound. Any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Newfie bleeding a lot?

Not at all. It looks like a wound, but isn't pussy or leaking that I can tell. Irritated perhaps, but not bleeding.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the Newfie's name?

Daphney

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daphney?

She's healthy for the most part. She's got a lot of skin issues. She's allergic to fleas and has dandruff/itchy dry skin. She's a little over weight, just a bit chunky. But her behavior hasn't changed any.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo of this lump to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Please make sure that a photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I don't like the looks of this. It could be a healing wound but I'm concerned that it could also be a form of skin cancer. I would needle aspirate affected tissue and examine the aspirate micrsoscopically to better understand if inflammatory or, instead, neoplastic (cancerous) cells are present. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

Would cancer appear in as little as a weeks time? I gave her a bath just last week and I didn't notice it.

That would be unlikely but not impossible. Can you think of any trauma to Daphney within the last week?

I can't think of anything. I know she had a few fleas on her (I'm guessing from our neighbors yard because we treat ours). She's really allergic to them and rips out her hair when she gets bit. She's also had bad reactions to several flea meds so I only use all natural stuff on her and I don't always know how great it works, but it doesn't make her skin worse so I use it.

I considered a penetrating plant awn such as a foxtail but it's a bit late in the season to be seeing foxtail abscesses. An easy way to differentiate infection from neoplasia is to treat for infection by lavaging the area with over the counter chlorhexidine solution (Hibiclens in your local drug store) and then applying an over the counter triple antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or Polysporin twice daily. If you see a good response, neoplasia isn't present.

Ok. I will try that and see if that helps. I will also set up a vet appointment for next week in case it doesn't help.

That sounds good to me. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian