Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is having trouble urinating. He just got his bladder…

Customer Question
Hi My dog is...

Hi My dog is having trouble urinating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

He just got his bladder drained im just wondering if its worms or something more serious

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Yes he has a long history of bladder problems last year got a stone removed from his kidney and has been battling infections since then he got a urinary analysis done yesterday when they drained his bladder and it didnt show signs of infection but it also didnt show any blockage

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Aaron, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Aaron

Please let me know when you're available and we can talk about your dog.

Hi Dr. Aaron I am available
did you receive the photos?

Hello.

They are loading on my computer right now:)

Your vet performed a urinalysis yesterday and said there was not a urinary tract infection?

they drained his bladder and did a urinary analysis and said that he did not have a UTI. and were unable to tell me why he was not urinating

Is he an intact male? Is he trying to urinate?

Did he have bladder stones or stones in his urethra?

he has had bladder stones in the past and had surgery but recently got checked by a specalist and they said it did not look like there were any mineral buildups
he has been throwing up and unable to eat or drink and struggling to pee for 2 days now. and then I pulled that mucus looking stuff out of his uretha

Is he neutered? Is he on any medication?

the first picture shows a small solid looking seed in the mucus that i pulled out. could that be an egg from worms potentially?
he is neutered and on a couple diffrent medications for his urinary condition
pretty much im just wondering if those pictures I sent to you indicate he could have Capillariasis (urinary worms)

I can definitely understand your concern, but I do not know of any worms that affect the urinary tract of cats or dogs.

Do you know which medications he is on?

Capillaria plica
that is a type of dog worm
can you connect me with someone that might be able to help me identify what this is if your unable to

was what your removed from your dog's penis alive?

Was it moving?

no I dont even know if it is living or not, I looks like mucus no it was not moving

I agree that it looks like mucus.

which medications is your dog currently on?

phenoxabenzamine, thyroxin, and bethanacol

Is your dog able to urinate currently? If yes, how often per day?

When did his inability to urinate start?

What did your local vet suggest as a plan moving forward?

no he is only dribbling when he is trying, seems very uncomfortable.
they put him on amoxacilin to try and see if it was a infection not seen by the urinary analysis
could the mucus buildup be the reason for his inability to urinate?

It's unlikely that mucus is causing the inability to urinate. I am much more concerned about one of two things: urinary obstruction (tumor, stone in urethra, etc) or inability to urinate (neurologic deficiency).

if there was a stone obstructing his urethra would the vet of been able to place a cathater to drain his bladder?

Dog's that present like this often have an ultrasound performed of the urinary tract (kidneys, bladder and prostate). This is performed to make sure there is no evidence of cancer or obvious stones. X-rays can also help determine the presence of these things.

Like i said last month he got a ultrasound less than a month ago and they said no major buildup was seen

It is less likely that his bladder would be able to be emptied with a stone in place (good point), but I have seen this before. I would be more concerned about a tumor. Especially if he is trying to urinate and unable to do so. Most often neurologically affected dogs lose the ability to determine they need to urinate.

I don't think this is secondary to worms or mucus build up. This is more likely an obstructive process...most concerned about a possible mass.

Did your local vet talk to you about rechecking tomorrow?

what does obstructive process mean?
and a tumor where?
he only reason that I think they arent considering that is because the day before yesterday his urinary flow was perfect

I've seen these types of cases where there is a tumor pressing on the urethra (causing an obstruction...preventing urine from passing normally unless a urinary catheter is placed).

yeah but that is the thing... his urination was fine untill yesterday
could a tumor cause such a drastic change to his urinary flow just pretty much overnight ?

Was his urine fine a month ago? What was the reason for the ultrasound of that area?

the same exact thing happened a month ago thats when we took him in to get a uniary analysis and a culture. When both of those came back nagative we took him to the emergency center and they drained his bladder and did a ultrasound resulting in nothing. The trip to the emergency room was inconclusive and they gave him amoxacilin and the next day it was almost completely better.

That is very interesting. Failure to find an infection likely means that improvement with antibiotics is coincidental. Antibiotics will take multiple doses to have much of an effect. I'm still concerned about about the possibility of a tumor.

The times I've seen something like this the patient most often is normal just before coming in and not being able to urinate.

I'm going to opt out so another expert can help you. Good luck.