Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Shih Tzu was diagnosed the sarcoma. Is there anything…

My Shih Tzu was...

My Shih Tzu was diagnosed the sarcoma. Is there anything that can help her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Shih Tzu?

She has cancer. (Sarcoma) The vet has done survey twice and it has come back . Is there anything holistic that we can do to help her

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Izzy and she is 10

11/29/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I am so sorry Izzy has this disease. Sarcomas can be really frustrating because even when it looks like we have gotten it all in surgery, microscopically that is not always the case.

Where is the sarcoma cancer located on Izzy?

Yes, there are some holistic things we can add to her treatment to try and help her immune system slow the growth of the tumor down. Unfortunately, nothing will cure it holistically but we may be able to slow it down.

Adding in select anti-oxidants every day will help scavenge free radicals which can increase the growth of tumors

One that I recommend is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-411612-Select-Antioxidant-60/dp/B005TPOW7I/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511916418&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=canine+select+antioxidant

We can also add in tumeric which has anti cancer properties. You can purchase the one for humans and give 1/3 the dose of a human to her once a day

The sarcoma is on her left shoulder

That is a really tough spot. Does your veterinarian think a boarded surgeon may be able to get good margins and remove the whole thing?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
He has removed it twice. He feels that there are little finger like growths that can't be seen so it's not likely they can get it all. He suggested amputation but he's not sure that will get it all
Phone call session started