Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sick dog won't eat and has trouble walking. No wound Doctor.

Customer Question
Sick dog won't eat...

Sick dog won't eat and has trouble walking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound Doctor. No swelling or redness. He licks joints above his feet, like it kind of bothers him. I don't see any signs of extreme pain. Just seems like his legs arn't working right. Trouble with staircase

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Spike. 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Spike

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?

He's been sleeping a lot.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Spike, please?

Regretfully, his symptoms while important aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. "Trouble walking" needs to be clarified by his vet; for example is he lame, weak, or ataxic ("drunken sailor")? Is more than one limb involved? Are joints swollen suggestive of an infectious or immune-mediated polyarthritis? Has his posture changed in a manner in which spinal pain needs to be considered? These are all questions that his vet needs to answer for you.

Anorexia and somnolence (sleepiness) often indicate pain but once again those symptoms aren't specifically indicative of any one particular disorder. It would be prudent to have Spike attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?