Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate about 1/3 loaf of cinnamon raisin bread on Sunday. We…

Customer Question
He ate about 1/3...

He ate about 1/3 loaf of cinnamon raisin bread on Sunday. We have two dogs so I think it was between the two of them. He has had 2-3 emesis today, but the last one was around 2 pm. He is having loose diarrhea, but not uncontrolled

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is a black lab, he weighs about 63 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bob?

He's 4 as of October

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bob?

He has a good appetite, he's peeing and drinking and eating normally

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination

I need to recommend, due to the vomiting, that Bob gets his kidney values checked either tonight if you can or first thing tomorrow morning as raisins can cause kidney damage in some dogs and the first symptoms you will see is nausea as the kidney enzymes become elevated in the bloodstream.

If you are unable to get him to a veterinarian tonight then go first thing tomorrow morning and for tonight, we can try some oral Pepsid and a dose of loperamide to slow the stools down. So with his weight being 63 pounds, his Pepsid dose is 30 mg.

He can also have 2mg of loperamide ( over the counter anti-diarrheal) every 12 hours

Vomiting and diarrhea after eating raisins can also indicate that his pancreas is becoming inflamed ( those are the first major symptoms dogs will experience commonly with pancreatitis).

Both kidney damage and pancreatitis require medical intervention to resolve the issue and sometimes, unfortunately, even that is not enough.

The reason I am recommending that you get him seen tonight to get lab work done is that these conditions worsen with time and become more expensive to treat and often the patient requires more treatment to get the issue resolved.

I would also recommend feeding a very bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for now because this will help settle his stomach and with the low-fat content will allow his pancreas to rest.

Good luck with Bob I hope he is going to be ok. Let me know how he does.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian