Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just noticed a large soft lump under the armpit. She has…

Customer Question
Just noticed a large...

Just noticed a large soft lump under the armpit. She has other lumps the vet told me was fat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 She is a bassador

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stevie?

Just the fat deposits. Other than that she is in good shape. She has allergies so I have her on Apoquel during allergy season. Not now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question bout your girl, Stevie. Doe this large soft lump seem to feel like the other lumps that the vet said were fat? The other lumps, did your vet just feel them or did they place a needle into them or remove one to determine they were fat?

This lump seems softer, and I didn't notice it yesterday. The vet just felt the other lumps and said he could take care of them but she just needed to lose some weight. She is about 5 pounds too heavy

Do you feel that this large soft lump just appeared in the past 24 hours or so?

I will just take her to the vet
it just showed up in the last 24 hours

Sorry about the confusion with the back and forth conversation. This lump that you're feeing could be another lipoma like growth. They typically though don't just appear. The area though is sometimes one that can hide growths if the right angle isn't had to be seen or contact with that area isn't happening to feel it. With a lump, the best thing to do to determine the cause is to aspirate it with a needle to see what material or cells come out of it. In the arm pit region, a lymph node being enlarged is possible, but they are usually more firm.

what is lipoma?
Sorry for my delay as I am having an internet issue. A lipoma is a abnormal growth of fat cells. Basically a benign fatty growth.