Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has lepto and has since august. He was just

Customer Question
My dog has lepto...

My dog has lepto and has since august. He was just diagnosed. He isnt eating and it is very stressful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

He has tried the enhacer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Paco is approx 12

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Paco was diagnosed with leptospirosis. I am sorry to hear about that. Is he currently being treated with antibiotics? I am not sure what the "enhancer" is. Would you mind elaborating on that for me please. Thank you.

It is medicine to help stimulate his appetite
We tried it many times and he threw up
we were told to stop
He has to go back to the vet tomorrow to be on iv for the day again
Is the iv supposed to help? His kidneys have improved and are heading towRds the normal range

An appetite stimulant is either likely going to be cyproheptadine or mirtazapine. It may not be necessary in this situation to give that medication, so it is OK to stop giving it. Treatment for leptospirosis is to give antibiotics for a period of 4-6 weeks. Amoxicillin and doxycycline are the antibiotics that are recommended. IV fluids are given if there is evidence of kidney injury or dehydration. If not then IV fluids are not usually necessary.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!