Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has Giardia. Severe diarrhea, emaciated. She is…

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has Giardia.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Severe diarrhea, emaciated. She is full of energy & healthy appetite though

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Nowhere. She has lost a large amount of weight quickly & has watery diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Kadie. She is approximately 10 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kadie?

She has had this condition before. She eats her feces & that of other dogs & I have not been successful in stopping her.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No. None of those things. I do not let her have human food or dog treats due to her hx of GI issues. No new toys, no trash

If you suspect that Kadie has giardia, the best approach is going to be a veterinary examination, fecal analysis to confirm the presence and a course of metronidazole to treat the giardiasis. Whose feces does she consume? Other dogs in the home? What methods have been tried thus far to stop this?