Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog came home last night from the Vet hospital. He was…

Customer Question
My dog came home...

My dog came home last night from the Vet hospital. He was there for 2 days, he had surgery due to 12 lacerations caused by a bigger dog. (my dog is 10 lbs chihuahua mix). since we came home, he has not eaten anything. Nothing to drink either. He keeps peeing when I take him outside, he has vomited twice *yellow liquid* I am just not sure if I should run back to the Vet hospital or wait for the follow up appt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Moe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moe?

He is on pain medication, tramadol. (the vet gave us liquid tramadol because he doesn't want to take his medication, becomes agressive. He is also taking antiinflamatory and antibiotic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Moe is not eating or drinking since being treated for lacerations. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. The decision to go back right away to the veterinarian or wait for a follow up appointment will largely depend on if there is dehydration. Are able to determine if the gums feel tacky/sticky or if the skin tent test is abnormal? The skin tent is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders. Let go of the skin when you feel resistance and count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. A normal time is less than 2 seconds.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian