Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 4 Pugs that have nails that need to be cut, The nails…

Customer Question
Hi, I have 4...

Hi, I have 4 Pugs that have nails that need to be cut, The nails are now curling. My vet tried to cut their nails back when the nails were much shorter, but after a few yelps from my pugs he said he could not do it. I need a strong sedative, so I can try it myself. Now I am afraid to take them to my new vet with the condition of their nails. I fear I would be turned in for pet neclect. My old vet passed away last year. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your Pug bleeding a lot?

No, what do you mean bleeding?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. I want to give you great support in saying that your new vet won't look down on you for not having the nails trimmed. Honestly, they most likely will be more questioning why the other vet said they couldn't do it. That is their job. If your old vet couldn't do it, then you won't be able to at home. Your new vet will be able to do it and do it well. If they need to, they have the safest sedation to use to get the job done. It will be done quickly and easily by them and they'll be glad you came to them for help. I promise!

You are a veterinarian, can't you send me a prescription for a sedative like Acepromazine, my research online says this is commonly used for such nail cutting issues?

You are very correct in that I'm a veterinarian. As a veterinarian I can't prescribe / script out a medication for a pet that I've never seen or examined. If it was a simple as giving an oral dose of acepromazine to do this, why didn't the other vet do it that said they couldn't? Your new vet won't think a thing bad about you for how his nails look.

Thanks for trying to help me, but your responses leave me with the same predicament I had before asking you for help. I will try to find help in other ways. I would like to have my initial $5 refunded and not have the remaining $15 charged to my credit card.

I want to help as much as possible. I'm just confused as to why the previous vet couldn't do it? Do you see where the confusion I have is? That is what they do for a living. They handle dogs, are good at restraining them, have medications to help restrain them and have good assistants to help. IF he couldn't do it, I'm not sure how anything could be given to them to have you do it at home on your own. Are you mainly worried that the new vet will make judgements about you and how you care for them based on the length of their nails?

without question I will not take a chance in fines from the local Humane society and municipality for something that is really not my fault. My other vet was an older man, maybe his nerves could not take it I don't know why he could not do it, I was not too worried back then because their nails were just a little longer than they should've be then, but now they are crazy long.

I can't say that I've ever seen a situation where an owner was fined for having dogs with long nails. Having long nails doesn't mean that a dog isn't being taken cared of. It just means that they are typically not easy to have their nails trimmed. I have seen many, many, many dogs at my ER with crazy long nails and I never look at them / their owners and feel that there is an abuse situation going on just because of that.

Well in the past I had 5 pugs and someone called the humane society and just because I had 1 more pug than I knew I could have, I was fined $500.

That would be something that I'd say is totally different. If there was a set number of pets that you can have, then someone could easily say that it was exceeded. You can't just say that a dog has very long nails and say they are abused. You have to look at a lot of other factors too to evaluate for an abuse situation. The typical abuse case never shows up at a veterinary clinic for routine care / nail trims. You showing up at the new vet's office to have these 4 pugs evaluated, nails trimmed, caught up on vaccines is proving that you're doing what is wright by them.

Well as I said, I will try to suffer through the nervousness of cutting their nails myself and not cutting the quick. The nails are so long now that it would take several sessions to get the quick to recede back to normal X 4 pugs so the vet bill would be outrageous any way. Who would know that their nails would get that long? Thanks for trying to help, but I thought you being a vet that you could prescribe the needed calming meds so that I could attempt this myself by making them calm enough so that I could. But you said you cannot so, thanks anyway.

The quicks will be longer than normal with the nails having grown out. They don't get super long though. I wish I could convince you to get them to your new vet to have them do the first trimming as that is the toughest one. It is something that again they would be happy to do. They could then give you some pointers on how to do the future ones at home. They will not think any less of you! I promise!

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian