Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Puppy got a pile of burrs caught in his fur last evening and

Customer Question

Puppy got a pile of burrs caught in his fur last evening and ever since has been sick. Woke up at 3am to poop (usually sleeps the whole night) and the stool was mostly solid but had some watery stool as well. Woke up at 7am, dog wouldn’t eat (highly unusual for him), went outside and he puked twice and it was white mucus and foam and had watery stool again. Slept most of the morning gave him Pepcid and Imodium per my vets orders and then he puked three times around noon - all yellow mucus like. Vet called in an antibiotic. Thought he was making a turn since he showed interest in his food ate his morning serving and finally drank water. Took him outside had two yellow watery stools and seemed to strain to push out more. Brought him inside and then he regurgitated his food he ate 30 minutes earlier. No yellow - just the food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: No. He’s a puppy that likes to eat any and everything in sight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did you fast your companion from food and water when the Pepcid and Imodium were given?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?