Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My brother's dog was given antibiotic for lyme disease in…

My brother's dog was...

My brother's dog was given antibiotic for lyme disease in early June. Then developed vomiting and diarrhea. He has gone through a lot of different tests (sonogram or xray, can't remember which) and then was given more antibiotics for his stomach. Vet told them that he will not need probiotic on both time...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your brother's dog eat anything unusual?

He's lost a lot weight... from 40 to 29... I am currently taking care of him and added probiotics to his diet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Shadow and he is about 5 years old the vet sent B12 for him and I feed him 1/3 every two to three hours or else he vomits don't know what else to do to get him to gain weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Shadow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?

Not sure. He got lost for a few days late May. He was found with a ton of ticks and the vet has seen him very often ever since

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination

thank you

Are you able to get in touch with Shadow's regular veterinarian? There is a medication called Cerenia which is an anti-nausea which can be given once a day to prevent vomiting and I often use it when a patient is not tolerating am antibiotic I have sent home. I would see if they can send it home.

Getting shadow on a high calorie or recovery diet can help as well. Like mixing his dry food with a canned food called A/D or canned food called Recovery that his regular veterinarian can send home for him.

You can also add in some puppy canned food with his regular dry food for the extra calories.

Make sure it is canine probiotics as human probiotics are not helpful in the canine species.

I also have clients that will add in boiled chicken and rice into their dog's diets when we are trying to put some weight back on them.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
It is Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora Probiotic Dog. How about GNC Calorie booster? Found that in the internet. Also, he is currently taking a Bison selected protein meal prescribed by the vet. They think that he might have developed allergies for chicken protein... but he has vomited with this meal as well.
DocPaul
Phone call session started

Are you in touch with Shadows regular veterinarian?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian