Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 year old pet dog that is in need of medical

Customer Question
I have an 8...

I have an 8 year old pet dog that is in need of medical help.  He is a Pomeranian/Shih tzu  He has been acting strange over the past week.  Not eating much.  Vomited one time over the last week.  I made him some boiled chicken and rice, but he is barely touching it.  Today I notice some blood on his anal area.  I have been trying to get him to drink, but he just does not want to...so I have been trying to give it to him out of a medicine syringe I had for my youngest daughter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Pomeranian eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pomeranian's name?

Simba

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you!

I am sorry to have to say this but Simba needs to be examined today

This has been going on too long to be a simple acute gastritis.

I am worried about pancreatitis or other underlying disease in the abdomen like inflammatory bowel disease, kidney or liver disease, infection or even foreign body. The blood in the bum area is also concerning and may be due to colitis (inflammation of the colon)

He needs fluids and anti-vomit drugs and they should take x-rays of the abdomen or preferably do an abdominal ultrasound

Okay?

Can you take him in today?

Paul