Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a newly weaned puppy (6.5 weeks) who is suffering…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a newly weaned puppy (6.5 weeks) who is suffering with constipation. He had a large (1/2") solid poo lodged in his anus. I soaked his rear and gently helped it out. This was approximately 16 hours ago. There is no evident bleeding. however, his anus is gaping. He passed a less solid poo this am, however, appeared lethargic and slightly dehydrated. I syringed water, gave nutri cal and he is currently eating wet puppy food and drinking. However, he appears to be uncomfortable, and the anus is still quite large/open (about the size of a pencil). He has squatted, with no result a few minutes ago. Only squatting/pushing for about 15 seconds. Is there any further action I should be taking?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Breed pomeranian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

Ace

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Ace's troubles. It sounds like he may still have some feces retained in the rectum. What you can try is giving him a warm, soapy water enema to loosen the stool. This is done by mixing warm water with a little dish soap. Place Ace in the sink and use a syringe, bulb syringe or other tool to suck up some of the soapy water and insert it just inside the rectum. Just use a couple of milliliters at a time. Gently massage his belly after inserting the water. Repeat until there is some fecal movement.

You can also try giving him a laxative. You can mix a couple of teaspoons of canned pumpkin with his food and add some water to make a slurry. Also, exercise can help, so a quick walk may do the trick.

If you are unable to get any fecal movement after trying these methods, or if he still appears lethargic or bloated, it would be time to see a vet.
I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

There has been further defecation, but it seems he cannot "pinch" the feces. My main concern is that the anus is stretched, and appears "open". With the constipation resolved, should I be concerned with the stretched anus, or will be return to normal?

Chances are it is just 'healing' from the constipation. Make sure that the anal reflex is still intact. You can test this by using a pencil or other small object and touching near the opening. There should be some sort of response such as a winking movement where the anus tries to shut. If the anal reflex is intact, monitor for bleeding and leakage. If by tomorrow the anus still appears open or there is bleeding or fecal incontinence, it would be time to see a vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk

How is Ace doing? Any improvement?

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian