Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is throwing up and not eating, he is 11 1/2 and is on…

Customer Question
My dog is throwing...

My dog is throwing up and not eating, he is 11 1/2 and is on previcox for athritis. He is also losing power in his back end

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of, I have been away for 10 days and my partner has been looking after him. My dog soesnt really want to move far

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lewis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lewis?

No he is getting a bit old, wondering if there is some underlying issue or if his time is almost up. He had a full vet check a vaccination a month ago

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry for the delay in response. It appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer some questions for me to have a better understanding of what is happening with Lewis?

1- How often is he vomiting?

2- What is the vomit?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does he weigh?

He weighs 42kg.
He is drinking water only, and I put some electrolytes in it.
He is lathargic and a bit dopy. He vomitted at aprox 6pm and has vomitted again just now. He is vomitting up water and bile.
It has been hot here the last few days.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he is an older dog it is important to rule out a systemic disease like kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc.

His back end being weak is likely from arthritis or weakness from being systemically ill.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian today and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Stop the Previcox until he is seen by your vet and the vomiting is under control. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours or Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian