Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swollen eye? How do I take the swelling out?

Customer Question
My dog has a...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 7 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?

No, she’s a good dog. Just wanna know what happened to her eye. I have kids and the rough house with her. I’m thinking one of the kids maybe got a little to rough and hit her in the eye.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Hopefully this is just some irritation or an allergic reaction around the eye. For that, you can give over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours, as needed.

If that doesn't seem to help over the next 24 hours, then I would get her seen and make sure she doesn't have a corneal ulcer. That would be something that requires topical antibiotics and some pain meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian