Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He threw up few times yesterday.. yellowish mucus and then…

Customer Question
He threw up few...

He threw up few times yesterday.. yellowish mucus and then are in the evening and finished his plate.. threw up this morning undigested food then mucus again then mucus that has tiny strokes of blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I don't think so.. is m usually very attentive and dontvlet him pick anything during.our walks

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Bo'loz 2.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo'loz?

Other than that situation he is perfectly healthy and happy.. it's turning cold here so he started having his sweater on

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?