Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Salkin my dog Ren's back left leg has been bothering him and…

Customer Question
Hello Dr Salkin my dog...
Hello Dr Salkin my dog Ren's back left leg has been bothering him and makes him limp or put pressure on it but if he hears something outside he will take off running just not putting a lot of pressure on his hind left leg he will lay on it, and jump off the bed he does not winch or anything just limps when he walks and when I rub his leg it seems like it is in his muscle in his hind left leg right above where his knee is I would like to take him to the vet however both my husband and I just lot our jobs and have a bottle of gabapentin 100 MG and he weighs about 65 lbs and how often to make him comfortable this has happened to him before and then he got better it it possible he slipped in tile since most of our house is tile with throw rugs for him if you could please advise.
Thank you,
Dave & Frlicua Strome
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Felicia, the use of gabapentin alone as an analgesic should be circumspect but you can combine it with either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or with acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily. In fact, you can give all three concurrently which should provide Ren with better analgesia than either drug alone. When using gabapentin concurrently with other analgesics, dosing is recommended at 2.5 - 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily which practically speaking would be equivalent to 150 - 300 mg twice daily. Expect sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Felicia Strome,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ren. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian