Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a hard stomach and has been uncomfortable for

Customer Question
about a day. Yelps...
My dog has a hard stomach and has been uncomfortable for about a day. Yelps a little when he feels uncomfortable
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: I'm not sure but he has a hard stomach and seems uncomfortable
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I think it's his stomach, he doesn't have any soreness or tenderness anywhere to the touch
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No. He's lethargic. Seeks out dark spaces, not much movement
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mushy, he's 9
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mugsy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mugsy?
Customer: He has a blind eye, and it's possibly related to the eye. It's gotten cloudy but no signs of glaucoma yet
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis. I see a lot of dogs that present like Mugsy- suspected abdominal pain. They look like that as they tense up the abdomen to keep the back from moving much.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems much more comfortable. After a couple days his belly relaxed, and I could identify a vertebrae that was sensitive. We kept him from jumping and segregated him from the other dogs. He's moving well, belly is softer; he's moving well.

Great, I'm glad he's doing better. It sounds like he'll be back to normal in no time. Thanks for the update.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian