Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 55-lb lab who just ate 8 Oreo while I went outside.

Customer Question
I have a 55-lb...

I have a 55-lb lab who just ate 8 Oreo balls while I went outside. About 8 oz of almond bark, Oreos & cream cheese. What do I need to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the ounce will be able to digest that. What is the ounce's name and age?

Silo is 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Silo?

Nope. Just very active & normal pup.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello?
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Surprisingly, there isn't enough theobromine-containing chocolate in those balls to intoxicate a 55 lb dog who would need to ingest at least 3.5 ounces of pure cocoa, 55 ounces of pure milk chocolate, or 18 ounces of pure dark chocolate to suffer the vomiting, agitation, and tremors associated with theobromine toxicity. As with ingesting anything unusual, Silo might experience gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting, and/or diarrhea but he wasn't intoxicated and so there's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Silo is great. The Oreo balls didn’t even phase him! Thanks for your help.

Aren't Labs amazing? I think they'll eat anything that doesn't eat them first. Thank you for the good update.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian