Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old beagle has not been well since Saturday. She…

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old beagle has not been well since Saturday. She has a hx of pancreatitis so we keep her in a low fat diet. We just had several people there over Thanksgiving and I thought maybe a young grandson gave her something she should not have had. So I haven't fed her since the night before last until today when she seemed much better and went up and down the stairs (she wasn't before) and so I fed her 3-4 ounces total of her light science diet throughout the day. Tonight she is breathing with her belly and every second or third breath it pulls up as though she were straining. I have a video if there is a way to get it on here.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Allie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Allie?

Not medically, she is a wonderful, sweet very gentle dog.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She did have her anal glands squeezed/cleaned out the day before Thanksgiving. She did throw up once the day after Thanksgiving. She is not moving independently now.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This actually sounds more like back pain than GI pain. The reluctance to go up/ down stairs and the abdominal tensing are both common with disc herniations in the back. If she was not vomiting, then I think it's much less likely to be associated with her pancreatitis.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.