Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is about 19 human years old the last couple of days…

Customer Question
My dog...

My dog is about 19 human years old the last couple of days he has just been laying around a lot today I get home and his penis is not going back in it is staying exposed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Bozo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bozo?

HE IS EATING AND DRINKING WATER JUST NOT ACTIVE AS USUAL

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Bozo is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Are you able to retract the penis back into the prepuce?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

no vomiting have not tried to retract will not let me close to it no other conditions

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is not able to retract the penis inward this could be a problem with the preputial orifice being too narrow or the penis being too engorged. However, in an older dog with a history of being lethargic, it is likely this is secondary to being systemically ill. In other words, the inability to protract the penis is secondary to weakness from being systemically ill. As far as the primary underlying cause this could be anything from an infection to kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian first thing in the morning. He may need to some testing like blood work to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

HOW MUST DOES BLOOD TEST AND EXAMS USUALLY RUN

On average an exam is around 40 dollars. The blood test depends on what the doctor is running, but, on average around 100-150 dollars.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian