Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps throwing up both right after and hours after…

Customer Question
My dog keeps throwing up...
My dog keeps throwing up both right after and hours after eating... she seems fine otherwise I don’t know what to do? Looks like she is loosing weight a little
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Greta is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- What is the vomit, food?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- Did she get into anything?

A few days it’s just basically undigested food no diarrhea she hasn’t been pooping as much I believe because she isn’t holding much food down... she is not lethargic very normal actually. I don’t know if she got into anything she stayed with a friend a few days ago but I don’t know?!?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

One last question, how much does Greta weigh?

22-24 lbs

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history alone, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend having her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination, fecal analysis and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: Raise her eating dish on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when she is eating.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, fecal analysis and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Do you feel like she needs to see a vet ASAP or try the Pepcid ac and stuff first?

I would start her on Pepcid AC tonight and change her diet as described above. And, I would at the very least have your vet check her stool to rule out intestinal parasites. If she continues to regurgitate after doing the above then x-rays is the next step.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Greta. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian