Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has excessive thirst. I sent a urine spec to the vet on…

Customer Question
She has excessive thirst...

She has excessive thirst. I sent a urine spec to the vet on Friday and she reported a low specific gravity of 1.005 and no bladder infection or bacteria. She had a similar problem last year and was tested for Cushings but it came back negative. Now the vet wants another blood test and wants Ebony's alkaline phasphatese measured.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Ebony is a Pit Bull terrier and is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ebony?

Her appetite is okay; no "accidents"; and has normal bowel movements and sleeps okay

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She has been taking Desmopressin Acetate in tablet form, 1 and a half pills daily (one-half=0.1 mg) as she was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Ebony today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

When was the diabetes insipidus diagnosed? What were her symptoms then?

Did the desmopressin seem to help?

Ebony had begun drinking excessive water back in January, 2017. When I took a urine specimin it looked as clear as water. The vet proscribed an antibiotic. That cleared up and she wanted to rule out Cushings disease, which a special blood test did. Then she wanted to see if Ebony had diabetes insipidus, but prescribed eye drops. Due to my physical handicaps, I told her that I was unable to administer the eyedrops, so I ordered the desmopressin in pill form, which I gave Ebony in peanut butter or coldcuts. I did see some improvement until the past two weeks when the excessive drinking began again. She needs to pee as soon as she drinks. I estimate that she drinks more than 108 ounces a day. She weighs around 70 pounds. I leave two water bowls a day out for her. She wakes up in the middle of the night and I hear her go into the kitchen to drink more water. I have thr vet coming by the house tomorrow morning to take a blood sample and examine her urine again. Im dealing with two vets- the one Ebony sees yearly for her shots and one who makes house calls, whose the one who diagnosed the diabetes and who tested for cushings and who is coming by tomorrow. The first vet wants to see the alkaline phasphatase number

I am sorry I did not see your reply last night before I logged off.

While it is true that a dog with Cushings may drink more than a normal amount of water, her recent increase in drinking and urinating may simply be progression of the diabetes insipidus. It is not uncommon for these dogs to need an adjustment of medication given and she currently is on a very low dose. It is often needed to be given more than once a day to control the drinking and urination.

Alkaline phosphatase is often elevated in dogs with Cushings, but that is not specific for that disease and there are other things that can cause it to elevate. Conversely, dogs with Cushings do not always have an elevated alk phos. The best test to rule out Cushings is called a low dose dex suppression test and it takes 8 hours to complete. (blood is drawn initially, and at 4 and 8 hours later). Keep in mind that when a dog is affected by one disease (such as diabetes insipidus), it can affect the adrenal response and can make the give a false negative result.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz