Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well my dog is 12 yrs old and has thyroid problems and my…

Customer Question
Well my dog is...

Well my dog is 12 yrs old and has thyroid problems and my vet says it is black skin disease. I was just trying to see if there was anything I could put on it to help her feel better. Her skin gets black spots and it starts getting crusty around the spots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Precious

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Precious?

Not that would help she is spoiled rotten other than that we are giving her raditine for her stomach I think that is how you spell it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There isn't a "black skin disease" but there certainly are skin conditions that can case hyperpigmented spots of hair loss. Both pyodermas - bacterial skin infection and yeast (Malassezia) infection can do this and both can be problematic in hypothyroid dogs. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

To answer you directly, the most effective topical treatment would be a shampoo containing both chlorhexidine and ketoconazole, miconazole, or clotrimazole which would be both antibacterial and antiyeast. The best of these shampoos is Malaseb which can be prescribed by Precious's vet. There are systemic treatments of value as well but it's best to clarify what's causing the black spots before prescribing pills. A cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin) looking for abnormal numbers of both bacteria and yeast) can be performed by Precious's vet.

I am sorry I didn’t think to tell you we were shampooing her but she gets so raw pinky looks on her belly and btw her legs! I was just wondering if anything was ok btw that I am putting coconut oil which seems to help and really helps with the dryness and has definitely helped with her hair growing back! She is at home right now but I think you just verified what my vet said ! Thank you!

No worries. The coconut oil is safe even if ingested but I'd like a bit of testing as I posted above to be performed so you'll know if a systemic antibiotic such as cephalexin or an antiyeast drug such as ketoconazole needs to be prescribed for 3-4 weeks. You'll be qutie impressed by how much better Precious's skin looks when treated more specifically. You're quite welcome. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

Thank you so much I will get her to the vet here and get her tested! Thx

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian