Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is limping and has a little blood on one paw (can't tell…

Customer Question
Hi! He is limping...

Hi! He is limping and has a little blood on one paw (can't tell where it is coming from) He was boarded this past weekend, was fine and jumping around and excited at pick up yesterday midday. This morning we noticed him limping and a little blood on his paw. He weight bears some (not lifting his leg up entirely), is eating and drinking fine. He's acting tired and lethargic, but my husband and I don't get paid until Thursday, so I am hoping to put off a vet visit until then if possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Huck, He's 3 in February. He is a goldendoodle

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Huck today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It is possible he may have fractured a nail and that is causing the bleeding, but without knowing exactly where the blood is coming from, it is impossible to tell you how severe the injury is. Certainly if he is still eating and drinking normally, he is likely not in too much pain. If you are monitoring him, try to pay attention to if he is licking any area of his paw. That may give you an idea as to where the injury is. If you can identify which paw it is, you could try a warm water/epsom salt soak of the paw to see if it offers any relief. If he continues to limp or bleed however, he will need to be evaluated by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Could we give him buffered aspirin for any pain or discomfort until we can get him to a vet on Thursday?

I would not recommend it. Aspirin, even buffered, can't cause GI ulceration in dogs. Most over the counter medications that you would have access to not safe and may limit what your vet is able to offer.

Ok thanks!

You are most welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian